Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Delivering Kyler

The doctors told me that I would have to deliver Kyler and that the safest way to do that would be a normal delivery.  They said that I could either go home and wait for labor to start or they could induce me.  We opted to induce.  At that point we were wanting to get that horrible part over with as soon as possible.  They said they couldn't sedate me, but they did want to make me as comfortable as possible.  The Chaplin came in and helped Clay and I make those awful phone calls to our parents, and let them know that we just wanted to be alone for the delivery.  The doctor broke my water and let me take a bath to calm down a little.  When I was ready they started giving me pitocin to bring on contractions.  As soon as I got the slightest bit uncomfortable they had the anesthesiologist there to get my epidural going.  Most of the early labor was not that bad, but then I stopped progressing at 6cm.  The pitocin was causing me to have very strong regular contractions but nothing was changing.  They started to worry that the contractions were too strong and would damage my uterus so they had to back off on the pitocin, and started talking csection.

The nurses did a shift change that evening and our new nurse came in to introduce herself.  I am not sure what her name was, but she was wonderful.  She had also lost a baby and really understood what we were going through.  She worked hard to prepare us for what was to come.  She came in and gave me a project bear which I held tight to the first week afterwards, she also gave us a memory box in which we could store all his things from the hospital, a hat for him and a pair of matching blankets so we could send one with him and keep one for us.  She urged us to think about holding him after we had him.

We decided to wait an hour to see if there was any more change before we committed to the csection.  During that hour my epidural slipped and wore off.  The anesthesiologist tried to get it working again but he couldn't.  I hadn't changed much during the hour so at that point we decided since I was in pain, wasn't progressing, and wasn't prepared to deal with hours of pushing if I did start progressing again, we would do the csection.

The hospital and doctor were wonderful, they let my husband stay with me the entire time I was in surgery.  They had a lot of trouble getting the spinal block in but persisted which was safer for me and meant my husband could stay with me.  Kyler was delivered with out any fanfare.  I was patched back up and taken back to our room.

Once back in our room the wonderful nurse brought Kyler for us to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment