Wednesday, December 21, 2011

6 Weeks In, Part 2

We went to our Share support group meeting Monday night.  We were the only ones who went this month but it was still good.  We spent nearly 2 hours talking to the meeting leader.  She lost her son 7 years ago.  It is nice to be able to just talk to someone who has been through everything and understands exactly what we are going through.  I felt pretty good when we left the meeting.

While I was in the hospital, even before Kyler was actually born, the nurse brought in a variety of baby blankets for us so we could choose one for Kyler.  She made sure to bring us ones she had two of so when we made a decision we actually got two identical blankets.  One we could keep with us and one for him.  I love that we were able to pick the blanket and that we have one and so does he.  The nurse said that sometimes she has trouble finding two identical blankets among the donated blankets.  It was so special and helpful to us that I decided that I want to start making blankets for them, two identical ones at a time.  I wasn't sure how to execute this plan, but when I talked to our group leader about it Monday she said she could find out for me.  I should have the blanket "requirements" and information on how to donate them soon.  If anyone else is interested in making a couple blankets let me know and I'll get you the info as well.  We chose the blanket we did because the dogs on it reminded us of our puppy, Ranon.  We had been dreaming that Kyler and Ranon would be best friends, so it seemed fitting.

I went in to work today to talk to my boss about coming back.  I thought that it would just be easier to talk to him about it in person then try and get it set up via email and it was.  I wasn't sure what they would want me to do when I came back since I have basically been gone for 6 months and I was in a few different "roles" before I left.  It looks like I am going to have a week to get back into the swing of things and then I am going to train a set of new employees.  I was pretty surprised they wanted me to train almost as soon as I got back, but I always liked doing the training and not much has changed, at least in what we train, since I left, so I think it will be good.  I am also going back to my same M-F schedule I've had for the past few years.  I was thinking that I wanted to work four 10 hour days with Sat, Sun and Wed off, but I think I can do M-F while I am training.  He said that after I am done training the new employees (training is a month) we can talk again about what "role" they want me in and the schedule.

I am getting excited about going back to work, and not just for the paychecks.  I haven't really wanted to leave the house much since I got home from the hospital.  Running into pregnant women and infants (especially boys) in stores and restaurants is super hard for me, but I don't have to worry about that too much at work.  My department is 80% male and I am only the second woman to have a baby there in the last 4 years.  I think it will be a "safe" place for me for now and it will be nice to get out of the house.  Plus, if the doctor okays it, I can start using the gym at work again which should make me feel better too.  I was worried about the actual "going" to work, like walking in the building and through our floor, but I was able to get that over with today too since I went in.

I start work again the first week in January.  I think that is the perfect time to start, we'll leave 2011 as the year of struggle and heartbreak and move on to 2012 which will hopefully be a year of healing, helping others, and setting up a new normal for us.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to make some blankets. Maybe we can make them together. ---Holly

    ReplyDelete