Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blood Donation

Another good day today, but my days off usually are.  I slept in with the puppy, went to the gym and then went and donated blood.  I've donated blood off and on for years.  I was going regularly until a little over a year ago.  

The last time I went, I learned a hard lesson.  I have to listen to my body and sometimes I need help. In November 2010 I went down to the donor center and donated.  I came home and went about my day. I didn't take care of myself and didn't drink enough water.  The next day I hopped up out of bed when my alarm went off and got in the shower.  I started feeling bad as soon as I was in the shower but I thought I could just push through, I needed to get to work.  I remember getting out of the shower and then I remember Clay standing over me talking to 911.  I started to tell him no I was fine and then I heard him tell the operator that I had a huge gash in my head.  I gave up and realized I needed help and laid back down and waited for the paramedics.  I was fine in the end.  I had just fainted, probably from not drinking enough after donating blood.  The cut on my head looked bad but was pretty superficial, no permanent damage done besides a scar.  If I had just sat down when I started feeling icky I would have been fine, but I didn't listen to myself.  Now, I have a nice scar in the middle of my head to remind me sometimes being strong isn't the best.  It was also a little humbling to have to walk around with steri-strips on my forehead for a week.


   
So this time I made sure to drink extra water yesterday and today, and I will tomorrow.  I will take care to sit down if I start feeling icky.  Some people wouldn't go donate again after a bad experience, but I really wanted to.  It doesn't take much from me (unless I am being stupid like last time), and I am not afraid of needles.  I know it isn't something everyone can do, and I understand that, but if you can please go donate.      I've always thought of blood being needed for accident victims but today I was thinking a lot about all the women and babies who need blood during pregnancy and after delivery.  You never know who's live you could be saving.  Plus you get free cookies and juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment